In addition to the standard College entry requirements (see below) this course requires students to have achieved grade 4 or above in GCSE Mathematics.
What will I study?
Year 1: You will study the following 2 mandatory units:
• Unit 2: Creating Systems to Manage Information – Externally assessed through a task set and marked by Pearson over 5 hours in a one-week period
• Unit 3: Using Social Media in Business – Assessed by written assignments
Year 2: You will study the following mandatory unit:
• Unit 1: Information Technology – Externally assessed through a 2 hour written examination set and marked by the exam board
You will study 1 of the following optional units in year 2:
• Unit 5: Data Modelling – Assessed by internal assignment
• Unit 6: Website Development – Assessed by internal assignment
How will I study?
This course is taught using lectures, demonstrations, practical work, group activity and individual study. Teachers are not only well qualified and experienced but also provide students with a high level of professional support.
How is the course examined?
This Extended Diploma is assessed by a 5 hour practical exam, a 2 hour written exam and a portfolio. It is graded: Pass, Merit, and Distinction. Students can obtain a Distinction* grade overall.
Level 3 courses earn you UCAS points allowing you to take on HND/ HNC or honours degrees.
What does the course combine well with?
Complementary subjects are any other level 3 subjects.
This course is equivalent to one A level.
College Entry Requirements
A minimum of five GCSEs, or equivalent, at grade A* – C or 4 – 9, including English Language and Maths from a
mixture of GCSEs and equivalents.
Students undertaking a Level 3 ‘hybrid’ programme comprising at least one A level element are required to meet the standard College A level entry criteria.